Friday, February 16, 2018

Which One Doesn't Belong?

I found a new website and I fell in love with it! Found it last night whilst scrolling through teacher Instagrams and tried it out today. It's called Which One Doesn't Belong?

You HAVE to visit it. Here. It has a variety of figures and it can be used to encourage talking about mathematics in the classroom. Initially, I was thinking it would be an excellent warm-up for my high schoolers, just to get them thinking and comfortable since there are no right or wrong answers. Then today, I was working one-on-one with one of my 1st grade ELL students and I thought I should show him this. He was very interested. I showed him the following image from the website:



I asked him "Which one is different?" and it took him some time to realize there wasn't a right or wrong answer. We went through each box and he said how each one was "different."
The 1st graders responses, roughly translated:
Top left - upside-down
Top right - not a triangle
bottom left - slanted
bottom right - looks like a ramp

How amazing is that?? What an excellent discussion! Then he was ready for more. He really wanted a numbers one, so we did this next:

Responses:
Top left - 3 digits
top right - only box with a 6 in it
bottom left - only one digit
bottom right - if you had the digits together, you get 10.

I thought I was dreaming when my student then asked how we could add 73 and 16. Umm, you want to learn how to do double-digit addition because of mere curiosity? Absolutely, let's learn! And that's how my day started. It was very nice and I'll definitely return to this website for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Day I Was A Good Teacher Effectively Using Formative Assessments

I would absolutely love  to highlight the homo(yet also hetero)geneous grouping strategy I utilized last week. Allow me to explain. I ordere...