Friday, February 23, 2018

Trashketball Review


I was a cool teacher today. That's so rare I need to bask in the success! We played a fiercely competitive game of Trashketball today to review exponents and powers.

Trashketball ensures that all students are involved in solving every problem and encourages students to talk with members of their group. Champions win my praises and a Werther's Original candy.

Trashketball only requires prepared review questions and that's it! The rules of trashketball are simple.


  1. 1. Every student has an individual whiteboard and marker and are expected to answer each question on said whiteboard. 
  2. I have two cups containing sticks with the names of each student. One cup of name sticks per team.
  3. I show a question and students have 30-45 seconds to answer. They may discuss with other members of their team. 
  4. I call for "time" and draw a stick to select a student. They must show me their board with their answer for 3 points.
  5. If they answer correctly, they earn their 3 points and are allowed to shoot the paper ball into a basket from a predetermined "close" distance for 2 points, or from across the room for 5 points. 
  6. If they do not answer correctly, the other team has an opportunity to answer - thus holding every student accountable for solving the problem. Whoever gets the answer correctly would have the opportunity to win the bonus points by shooting the paper ball.


Rules I display on the front:

*Everyone MUST write answers down on their whiteboard
*Only two attempts to earn extra points
       Scoring Guide
Correct answer - 3 points
Made basket from designated (close-ish) desk - 2 points
Bonus shot from across the room - 5 points

I introduced Trashketball to my students to help them review powers and exponents. They learned to convert expressions between expanded and exponential form and to evaluate expressions with exponents for a given value. You can see the presentation I used (with questions and warm-up) here if you're interested! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Day I Was A Good Teacher Effectively Using Formative Assessments

I would absolutely love  to highlight the homo(yet also hetero)geneous grouping strategy I utilized last week. Allow me to explain. I ordere...