Wednesday, February 7, 2018

I became a game show host and the kids learned about calculating standard deviation

Is it lame to post twice in one day? Probably. But I still have energy and zest so I'm at it again! I was feeling nostalgic for my being-in-the-classroom-to-teach-math days so I wanted to share one of my proud, creative moments. I combined the game show Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader with... calculating standard deviation! Months later, the echos of the Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader day still reverberated through the halls. Ha. Not really, but I did keep the interest of a class full of freshmen for about 30 minutes which is also an accomplishment.

Here's what I did:

1. Had students complete an Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader quiz of about 20 questions as a silent warm-up.

2. I read the answers aloud and students self-graded and wrote their total correct at the bottom of their paper.

3. I'm very proud of this one - Used a random name generator to call on 10 students (perfectly tied in to unbiased sampling, which we had just learned about) and had them share their scores with the class.

4. We all wrote down their scores as a class.

5. I then provided the students with a scaffolded worksheet on how to calculate the standard deviation of a sample by hand.

6. Students did practice problems.

7. Showed students how to do it in five seconds on their calculator.

8. Tuned out the complains of angry students for not telling them the "shortcut" sooner.

9. Basked in the glory of my successful lesson.

Here's the activity if you want a better look!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Day I Was A Good Teacher Effectively Using Formative Assessments

I would absolutely love  to highlight the homo(yet also hetero)geneous grouping strategy I utilized last week. Allow me to explain. I ordere...